Marcus Woelfel
Philosophy of Film
April 28, 2014
Dr. Langguth
Vertigo
The definition of vertigo is a whirling or spinning
movement, or a subtype of dizziness. I
feel that this is a great name for the movie because throughout the film it
keeps you thinking and wondering what’s going on. The film Vertigo is about a San Francisco
detective who has acrophobia, which means he suffers from the fear of heights. Throughout the film John is investigating
Madeline, because he was asked by his friend to follow her around since she has
been acting weird lately. Madeline’s
husband is Elster that’s who asked John to follow her around and investigate what
she is doing. John had to go through a
lot to follow her around by driving all over the place investigating what she
is doing. He also gets tricked
throughout the movie by her in certain situations which I believe that the film
maker Hitchcock did on purpose to keep the watchers into the movie and to keep
them wondering.
When John is Following Madeline around he follows her to
the bay where she tries to commit suicide by jumping in, where John jumps in
after her and ends up saving her life. Once
John saves her life he begins to hang out with Madeline a lot and he begins to
fall in love with her. Once I he falls
in love he begins to change her appearance so she can be just like someone he
knew from the past. He changes her hair
color and the hair style that she had, the way she dresses everything about
her. I remember the scene where he
argues about the suit he buys for her because it’s not perfect and he wants the
same one the other lady wore. She ends
up running away from him at the end of the movie to the top of a steeple where
she ends up falling off to her death which I think is from the vertigo.
I really enjoyed this movie in class since it kept my
attention the whole time. I’m a fan of
this type of movie because if you miss part of the movie you’re lost and can’t
catch back up, which I think Hitchcock did a great job. Throughout the whole movie you keep getting
these little clues that keeps making you think and try to put each scene
together in the whole movie. The movie I
feel is a thriller and a mystery movie.
The movie keeps you on your toes and gives you the rush that you want to
find out more and more. The ending of
the movie was not the best because Hitchcock makes you think about why this all
happened and doesn’t give you an exact reason.
That is why as Dr. Langguth said this the best movie that was ever made
is.
No comments:
Post a Comment